Administrative Secretary (.8 FTE; 4 days/week)
Shalom Counselling Services is a faith based not-for-profit community counselling agency, and a United Way supported agency. Shalom exists to serve the mental and emotional health needs of all people in our communities. Shalom’s mission is “Helping People Grow Toward Peace and Wholeness” through the provision of therapeutic counselling, consultation, and educational programs that integrate emotional, relational and spiritual dimensions. To better understand the mission and philosophy of Shalom, visit our website at www.shalomcounselling.org. We are seeking an individual aligned with the values of our organization who is positive, creative, and detail-oriented and interested in a part-time (30 hours/week) contribution to Shalom as Administrative Secretary.
Your responsibilities would include:
- In a reception role, welcome and assist clients who come to SCS, including taking payments, providing information and creating a positive environment.
- Manage the overall general office support.
- Interpret the services of SCS in response to telephone, email and in-office inquires, in a professional and responsive manner. Redirect people to appropriate services, or to the hospital for crisis situations.
- Gather information to begin the initial intake process and other intake duties in consultation with the Clinical Director.
- Work in close partnership with the Executive Director, Clinical Director and the Business & Operation Administrator.
- Coordinate appointments, cancellations, reminders and maintain records in consultation with counsellors.
- Prepare and distribute minutes and agendas for SCS Inc. board committee meetings and board meetings.
- Maintain a clear and accessible filing system.
- Score, prepare and compile outcome measures, statistics and data for internal use and for external funders.
- Complete fundraising mailings, all other types of mailings, and thank you letters.
- Maintain accurate records in databases of all donors, and recipients of mailings.
- Prepare billings: organizations, individuals, churches etc.–in consultation with counsellors.
- Record all deposits and cheques in the accounting/bookkeeping software.
- Record donations receipts and prepare charitable donation receipts.
- Prepare and make bank deposits.
- Assist with organization events and fundraisers.
- Perform other tasks as required by the Executive Director or designate.
As the ideal candidate you bring the following skills and qualifications:
- Comfort interacting with a diversity of people from all walks of life, in a respectful and compassionate manner
- Effective interpersonal communication skills (including oral, written and visual)
- Superior accuracy and attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to act in a professional manner befitting Shalom Counselling Services
- Ability to maintain professionalism in an environment with a diversity of ongoing tasks and distractions
- Strong organization and time management skills; the ability to multi-task and meet deadlines
- Knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, Publisher, and comfort learning new database software
Education and Qualifications:
- One to two years of experience working in a related capacity
- Relevant secondary or post-secondary education (some post-secondary education would be beneficial)
- Experience with Simply Accounting or similar accounting/bookkeeping software an asset
- Previous experience in a not-for-profit considered an asset
- Alignment with the mission and vision of Shalom Counselling Services
Intended start date: Mid June 2019
Interested applicants send a cover letter outlining your interest as well as a resume by May 22, 2019 to:
Wanda Wagler-Martin, MSW RSW
Shalom Counselling Services
9 Avondale Avenue South
Waterloo, N2L 2B5
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.